Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My friend Joyce Matthews

There was a sister baptized into our ward almost a year ago. I really don't know how old she is, but her mother is 86. Last fall she had a fall in her bathtub and ended up with lots of problems before she was able to get back into her aprtment. She came home before Christmas, but has continued to be under the wweather. They were building some new handicapped apartments in her complex and she was able to get one. Last week we were called and told that she needed to be moved by April 1.. We weren't able to get lots of help, but enough. We were there all day Saturday, and with the help of a few men got about 1/2 of her stuff moved and she did sleep in her new aprtment that night. I went back over on Monday and Tuesday mornings and stayed all day and finally feel good about it being ready for her. Yesterday when I got there we couldn't get her to wake up. We eventually called 911 and she was hauled off to the hospital again. I feel really bad for her. She has about 9 million boxes of yarn and junk that she doesn't want to throw away, and that is all stacked in her bedroom. With the help of a few good sisters, a couple of strong young men, a few husband and wife teams, Wayne, Michelle, and my heros, the missionaries it is pretty much as good as it's going to get right now. I can't forget to thanks Ginger because she took care of all the kids on Saturday while we moved stuff all day in the pouring rain. I am so grateful to have the family that I have, because she doesn't have much. Her mother and step dad live by her, but they couldn't help at all, and her sister lives across the street, but she's in a wheelchair and can't help either. She has kids, but her mother told me that she hasn't seen or heard from them in many years. She doesn't know if they are alive or dead. How sad is that. I have help many peole move in my life, but never been the person who had to put every single thing away for someone. Sometimes we complain about all our relatives, but this experience makes me grateful for every one of my realtives and every one of my friends. I know that they would help me any time I needed help. Hopefully we will get her home in a few days and she can begin to enjoy her new apartment. Wayne was talking to our bishop about it yesterday, and the bishop told him that I really didn't have to put all the stuff away, I could have just left it in piles and piles of boxes. I was proud of Wayn when he told the bishop that I did need to be there, that I did need to finish. I'm pretty sure that my mom and dad would both have disowned me if I hadn't of completely finished the job I started. I am so grateful that they taught me to love unconditionally and they taught me how to work.

1 comment:

Aunt Tiff said...

Mom! You are such a good friend to everyone! I hope I can be more like that...I admire that about you!!