Monday, April 13, 2009

Stake Dinner made from "Year's Supply"

On Saturday our ward was asked to make the Stake Dinner our of Year's Supply items. We decided to make Navajo Tacos. It was quite and awesome undertaking and I am very glad and grateful that it is over. It was very hard, and our "reputation" was on the line. We were to feed between 275 and 300 people. I'm not sure how many were there, somewhere between 225 and 250 maybe. Anyway, we had lots of extra beans and lots of extra fry breads. We are so grateful to all the women who came and gave their time to help us. They chopped onions (and cried), chopped tomatoes, rolled out fry bread and fried it. Then they helped us serve it all. Everyone loved it. There were a few who wouldn't eat because they didn't like beans or a few other stupid excuses. I feel sorry for them. It was an really good tasing meal made totally out of items you should have in your years supply, can grow in a garden, and make from having farm animals. I am so grateful we had the opportunity to do it. We truly believe times are going to get really hard and we need to be able to eat the food we have stored. I am grateful to my parents and grandmas who taught me how to cook and taught me to make the best of what we had. I still remember me and Debbie making Date Bars one time with no dates. I don't remember how they tasted, but I'm sure we ate them. I remember one time trying to make something that needed brown sugar. We didn't have any. We went to Margie Linn and she didn't have any either. She told us that if we mixed molasses with sugar we could make it. We did that and it worked. We do that all the time now. Grandma Bennett taught me to make Bean and Bacon soup and Grandma Muder taught me to make homemade noodles. I am grateful for that good teachers I had.


The tables set up for the dinner (and Sister Diane Gough)


Michelle and some of the sisters rolling and cooking fry bread. The sisters are Dodie Putvin, Sharon Wilcox, Julie Graham, and Diana Anderson, who is about 6 months pregnant.
Ginger was our Bread maker. She was taking the pictures.


This is the beans. Wayne kept saying to make more. He said we would feel really stupid if we ran out of beans when they were so cheap. We have lots in our freezer now.

No comments: